- Hits: 7903
Beaches There is a beach at Skala Prinou and more beaches at Skala Rahoni and Pachis Beach.
Beaches at Prinos within 10min. drive Skala Prinos and Dasilio
Dasilio, Elea, Airphoto
Skala Prinos Artemis
Beach Bar Dasilio 1
Dasilio, Elea, Airphoto
Skala Prinos Artemis
Beach Bar Dasilio 1
Beaches at the west of Thassos within 20-30 min. drive
Thassos Skala Maries
Beach Skala Rachoni
Skala rachoni Beach
Beach Skala Sotira (2)
Beach Skala Sotira
Famous beaches around the island
Beach Livadi Beach
Beach Paradise (2)
Beach Tripiti Beach
Local Restaurants. There are tavernas located along the waterfront in Skala Prinou, in Prinos and wonderful traditional tavernas at the mountain stone made
village Kazaviti. Personal choice
Ploumis Wine (2)
Skala Maries Gulf
Thassos Klisma Beach
Sotira Sunset (2)
Bars. You can also walk into Skala Prinou and enjoy a drink at one of the bars and cafes. Also in Prinos are cafes and kafeneio.
Night life after 12:00 is at Potos, Limenaria, Limenas
Market Prinos Market is every Monday in the morning. There are clothing stalls, fantastic fruit and vegetables stores. You will also find local produce such as the locally made honey and olive oil, olives, sweets, herbs etc.
Places of interest: Prinos village is worth visiting especially to see the market. Skala Prinou has daily ferries to Kavala which is a beautiful city with a pretty seafront, a castle and lots of tavernas and shops.
Kazaviti and small Kazaviti, old villiages with stone houses, beatiful nature and nice taverns with local food.
There is also an olive oil Museum, olive oil production and fabrication, honey association with direct sales where you can buy 100% local products and tsipouro distilleries.
And the olive groves of Prinos which is one of the largest and oldest.
Amenities. There are pharmacies in Prinos village and on the main road between Skala Rahoni and Skala Prinou. There are small supermarkets and some more shops in the centre of Skala Prinou.
There are also bakeries in Prinos, small supermarkets, horticultura, car repair, DIY stores, PC repair, Hair salons, Carpenters, Souvenirs, Meat markets and international Press.
Nearest Banks and Cash Point. There is an ATM (Emporiki Bank) down at the Port, Skala Prinos. The nearest bank is in Thassos Town.
Local Transport: The bus stop is close to the Port and links Skala Prinou with Thassos Town, Prinos and the south of the island. Cars rentals and bicycles are in Skala Prinos. (Potos, Hertz, Avis, Europcar).
Almost every village and every church has its own festivities. I just indicate some of them here. I am sure if you ask the local people you can add some more at the list. Every festivity - panigiri - is mainly a local event where the kloubani - a local food offered to all visitors - served as well people dance with live music.
- 7 Januar, Timiou Prodromou - Agios Jiannis, Prinos
- 17 Januar, Agios Antonios, Potos
- 18 Januar, Agios Athanasios, Kastro
- 2 February, Candlemas of Christ, Kazaviti and Panagia
- 10 February, Agios Charalampos, Kazaviti and Panagia
- 40 days before Easter, Carnival. Carnaval has some thousands of years tradition at the island of Thassos and is still celebrating at many villiages. At Panagia takes place the most famous carnival of the island as well as in Potamia, Rachoni, Limenaria and Kallirachi.
- 25 March, Annunciation, Euaggelismou, church of Euaggelistria in Limenaria
- Easter Monday, residents of Theologos set off together for the monastery of Archagelos others on foot and others on decorated mules and donkeys.
- Easter Friday and Easter Sunday celebrated like everywhere in Greece with protest on Friday, Anastasi between Saturday and Sunday and after magiritsa and Sunday with the grilled and /or filled got or lamp.
- 3 day after Easter Ag.Georgios Kazaviti. At this day the residents of Limenaria and and Kalivia revive the custom "Let it rain, my April". This is a dance of the rain which has its roots in Pre-Christians festivities.
- In the village of Panagia, Thassos, the burning of Judas takes place at Easter night.
- 40 days after Easter id the ascension day, celebration at the church of village Sotiros.
- 50 days after Easter the eve of the Holy Ghost , at the church of the holly Trinity at Kinira.
- 8 May, Agios Giannis, Theologos
- 24 June, Timiou Prodromou, Skala Maries
- June 28 Ag Apostolos Kazaviti
- 1 July, Agion Anargiron, Skala Kalirachi
- 7 July, Agia Kiriaki, Prinos and Panagia
- 11 July, Agios Giannis Neomartira, Maries
- 17 JulyAgia Marina, Kazaviti and Limenas
- 15-28 July Kazavitiana in Mikro Kazaviti
- 20 July, Prophet Ilias, Panagia
- In the middle of July cultural activities take place in Theologos as well as the traditional local wedding.
- 26 July, Agia Paraskeui, Kazaviti and Theologos
- 27 July Ag Panteleimon in the Monastery
- 1 August Kalivia and sometimes in Prinos, Augoustos Para Augoustos me sika kai Karidia. A pre-Christian festivity with dance and jumping over fire as pray to the hotest month of Summer August
- begging of August the honey festival and the olive festival in Prinos.
- Aug 15 Panagia at Panagia and Rachoni mainly and all over the island where a Panagia church exists. 15 August is celebrating at Thassos and general in Greece as Christmas and Easter.
- July and August frequent culural and sport activities of the local Community
- 29 Aug Agios Giannis up to the mountains of Prinos and at Sotiros village.
- 14 October, Agia Paraskeui, Theologos
- 26 October Agios Dimitrios, Theologos, Kalivia and Limenaria
- 8 November, Archagellos Michael and Gabliel, Maries
- 21 November, Presentation of Virgin Mary, Potamia
- 30 November, Agios Andreas, Prinos
- 6 December, Agiao Nikolaos, Limenas, Limenaria, Prinos, Rachoni, Kalirachi and Potos
- At the ancient Theater of Limenas there concerts and ancient greek theater every July and August.
Walks: There are some good walks in the area, between the olive groves or at the mountains, starting from Prinos or Kazaviti. A nice walk is from Skala Prinos to Prinos, parallel to main road, which leads to Prinos through the olive trees and is recommended for a visit to Prinos especially on Monday for the Bazar. Walks around the island are organised from agencies. Most popular is on the highest mountain Ypsario starting from Panagia.
Recommended walks: Thassos is one of the most beautiful islands of Greece, combining sea and mountains with pine forest and olive groves. The ideal combination of blue like its clear water and green like its forest. The excellent beaches with crystal clear water, the remote tiny bays, the picturesque villages and the busy night life make Thassos an ideal and popular resort. Thassos is ideal for a family or even for singles who likes activities like swimming, fishing, water sports, nature trecking, yachting, scuba diving.
Ferryboats connect the island with Kavala (1:10 hr) and with Keramoti (40 min). There is daily connection by ferry boat between Kavala Thassos (17 miles). Kavala – Prinos (13 miles.) Keramoti - Thassos (6 miles.). information +30 2593 71290.
* The island has no airport, but is served by the International Airport of Kavala. From this Airport there are flights to and from Athens (50 min) daily. There also are flights and charters to and from important European cities, several times a week. The airport is 13 km from Keramoti, where the ferryboats assure the connection with the capital of the island (35 min).
* Transport on the Island Daily buses via Panagia and Prinos serve all the coastal villages. The 100 kilometer long road network is in good condition. Cars and motor bikes are available for hire on the island.